In this episode, I want to share my thoughts on a YouTube video I saw about a commencement speech given by Admiral William H. McRaven. In his speech, he shared his ten lessons on how to make an impact on people. The thing is, you never know who you're going to impact, even with the smallest actions you take. That’s why it’s so important to keep these things in mind as we move from focusing on success to significance.
- Make your bed — the little things matter.
- Find people to paddle with you — you will need some help!
- Measure the size of heart, not the flippers — it’s about the mindset and how hard you work.
- Get over being a sugar cookie and keep moving forward — Get over being a victim and get moving.
- Don’t be afraid of circuses — Don’t worry about measuring up to others. Hard work makes you stronger.
- Sometimes you have to slide down obstacles head first — Take risks to make an impact.
- Don’t back down from the sharks — Stand your ground and make that impact.
- You must be your very best in the darkest moments — You have to remain calm and composed in the worst of times, so make sure you have the skill set that you have lives up to that.
- Start singing when you’re up to your neck in mud — Do something that creates hope for everyone.
- Don’t ever, ever ring the bell — Don’t quit.
Mentioned in This Episode:
Jennifer Du Plessis
Stop Talking, Take Action, Get Results. Business and Personal Growth with Jen Du Plessis
Jennifer Du Plessis on YouTube
Jennifer Du Plessis on Zillow
Launch! How to Take Your Business to New Heights, by Jennifer Du Plessis on Amazon
“University of Texas at Austin 2014 Commencement Address
— Admiral William H. McRaven”
Stop Talking, Take Action, Get Results Podcast Episode: “The Real Estate of You”